Going to the beach is an essential summer activity. Enjoying time with family and friends on the sand and in the sea forms memories that’ll last a lifetime, but if you aren’t properly prepared you could be remembering your trip for all the wrong reasons!
Here are some tips and tricks to make sure you’re ready for the beach so that you have a fantastic time.
Before You Go
Before setting off for the beach, there are a few things that you need to bear in mind so that you don’t arrive under-prepared.
- Pack a picnic lunch. Depending on which beach you’re visiting you could find that there’s no café or shops in sight, and even when there are plenty of eating spots they’ll be expensive. You can save time, effort and money by bringing your lunch with you. When you’re making sandwiches, wrap them all separately and put food in lots of separate containers so if there’s an accident and some food ends up in the sand at least you won’t have lost your entire picnic in one fell swoop.
- Pack lots of water. Dehydration is no fun, especially at the beach. Heading out for the day with no water is a surefire way to get sunstroke, so make sure to take more water than you think you need.
- Shave your legs, armpits and, yes, even your bikini line (don’t be put off, please keep on reading!) to ensure that they are smooth and hair free the day before you go to the beach so you don’t have sore and unsightly shaving rash when you’re wearing your swimsuit.
Taking The Kids
Taking children to the beach can be a headache. Although kids love the sand and the sea, planning the day can be even more difficult when you’ve got toddlers and babies to take into account. When you’re taking a daytrip with little ones, here are some top tips to make the most of your day:
- Don’t forget to pack all the necessities you could possibly need. Put extra diapers in your bag along with spare pacifiers and formula just in case. Also remember that your baby needs sunscreen and a sunhat too.
- Make sure you’re fully equipped to keep your kids occupied and safe. A paddling pool can be helpful in keeping them safely in one spot while staying cool and enjoying the beach. A beach tent is another brilliant item for children since they can play in it and sleep inside if they need a nap.
- Choose your spot on the beach carefully. A space near the lifeguard is always a good idea since your kids will easily be able to find you if they get lost.
When You Arrive
Unfortunately, the planning doesn’t stop when you arrive at the beach. There are still a few things you need to keep in mind as you relax and unwind.
- Don’t forget to keep reapplying sunscreen. You don’t want to risk getting burned, so make sure you reapply frequently so that your skin is fully protected. Every time you come out of the sea, make sure to put another layer on.
- Use bug spray. There’s nothing worse that a mosquito bite or wasp sting ruining your day. Make sure to apply bug spray before you head out and then after coming out of the sea to avoid any discomfort.
- Find a sand-free space to eat. Nobody likes a sandy sandwich, so taking a folding picnic table is always a good idea so that you can be sure of a pleasant lunch without any crunchy bits!
Follow these top tips and you’re sure to have a fantastic day on the sand. Enjoy!