Wearable devices like smart glasses and smart watches are fast becoming popular among people who are ready to experiment with mobile consumer devices. Not only are the users excited about using these devices but it has also piqued the interest of application developers. Several users have already started using these smart wearable devices for their day to day communication and it can be easily assumed that the wearable devices are going to penetrate organizations as well.
Though companies are not planning to introduce the wearable devices any time soon, it is important for them to realize the fact that they will have to get ready to embrace the new technology in near future. Though the users or employees might be upbeat about the several benefits of wearable devices, technical experts are still wary about the security or other related risks that these devices will pose. Organizations will have to sooner or later adapt these wearable devices and be ready for the technological challenges that these smart devices will present. We need to understand the advantages and disadvantages of wearable smart devices in order to frame the right policy – this will prevent any kind of data pilferage.
In this article, we will dig deeper and try to find out the advantages and disadvantages associated with wearable devices in an enterprise.
- Connecting one and all – The use of mobile devices has provided a new lease of life to enterprise communication. Mobile devices provide an opportunity to the users to access all organizational data and applications, irrespective of their location. Now, the smart wearable devices like smart glass or smart watch will prove to be another easy access point for various communication needs. These devices are certainly going to make the lives of remote employees easier and even the executives located at the head or branch offices will experience seamless communication. Collaboration among employees will be facilitated by the apps on wearable devices. Employees will be able to communicate with one another in an efficient manner, which would eventually enhance productivity.
- Enhance company’s image among employees and jobseekers –The introduction of smart wearable devices will boost the company’s image among the employees and jobseekers. The companies that tend to adapt new technologies and even encourage its employees to do so are considered to be progressive and flexible. This will give a huge boost to the company’s image.
- Data Monitoring – The introduction of wearable mobile devices will facilitate efficient data monitoring as the management will be able to gather critical data pertaining to employee behavior and mobile activity over the Internet. The collected data can be used to understand the type of data or media an employee post’s online.
- Security Threats – The smart wearable devices are small, they can be carried and plugged to any other compatible devices. The data exchange among compatible devices is very high and huge amount of data can be sent or received within a few minutes. This can pose to be a huge security risk as devices like smartwatches can be tucked and sneaked into offices. Data pilferage can take place without anyone even noticing and this can lead to major issues. Even the devices that get lost or misplaced can be a great security risk as there is every chance of the devices falling in the wrong hands.
- Compliance issues – The wearable devices often gather and collate health data of a user in order to monitor their fitness and health. Though this is good for users but it can pose to be a compliance issue for the IT department of the company. Now companies might find it difficult to segregate vital business data and an employee’s private data.