The transport sector is an industry that commands quite a big portion of the global economy. As such, this is a sector that cannot be left to forces of demand and supply without strict regulations from the authority. A fleet management Software system is a competitive as well as a regulatory element in the transport sector.
Managing a fleet of vehicles through a manual system is prone to a string of errors and makes the cost of running the business to skyrocket. Fleet managers are thus expected to optimize performance and minimize the running costs. This can only be achieved if the fleet managers are able to select good fleet management software that has the possibility of incorporating/ integrating other players in a particular project.
For example, an efficient fleet management system can incorporate dispatch activities as well as facilitate good record keeping. A case in hand is trucking software from Exspeedite that can accommodate all the trucking as well as fleet management system requirements. This software leaves almost no room for errors. You can add sections to the sheets on the system with extreme ease.
Some of the major functions a good fleet management system should help to achieve include:
- Efficient vehicle financing: The duty and responsibility of choosing the right vehicle for a particular function lies entirely with the fleet manager. With a good fleet management system, then it becomes easier to make a decision since the data detailing the performance of each car model or make can be easily evaluated. These pieces of information allow the manager to bargain financing options based on the return on investment expected as well as the lifespan of the motor vehicle in question.
- Proper fleet maintenance: A good fleet management system should be able to show any deviation in performance. Also in the era of digitized automobiles, a fleet management system ensures that the car’s mechanical problems are diagnosed electronically by connecting to the inbuilt computer. This increases efficiency in fleet maintenance.
- Car tracking: This function helps in planning and dealing with emergencies. Use a tracker, the fleet manager is able to see where a particular car is and estimates the wait time required for the next loading. A tracking component also helps to curb indiscipline and other unauthorized use of a company’s car because an explanation will be required on why there was a deviation from the planned route. Tracking also helps to control theft since the car can be switched off remotely.
- Driver management: Drivers are a key component for an effective transport system. However, it’s hard to trace or track their driving habits if you are not using a good fleet management software. For example, an excellent fleet management system will help to gather the speed of the driver, how he/she chooses gears, break duration, and other essential practices expected to be observed. If a big deviation from expected is noted, then the driver can be recommended for remedial training.
- Safe working conditions: Some of the accidents that happen on the road as well as within the working environment can be directly linked to the efficiency of the fleet management system. For example, an ELD Rule requires that a driver should not work for more than 11 hours in a day to reduce cases of fatigue. As such, it’s a requirement for the drivers to enter their worked hours.
- Fuel management: An efficient fleet management system ensures that vehicles are allotted the shortest routes possible and also there is maximum control on fuel. A card system works well in controlling the fuel usage and also reduces the chances of foul play. For example, the Exspeedite Company which is a trucking company that uses the recent technology in the market have a fuel control system that automatically generates fuel purchase data as well as ensure proper adherence to the international fuel tax agreements. Some of the most effective ways of saving fuels include:
- Using a fuel card to get discounts and reduce fraudulent fueling activities. Also, buying fuel at wholesale prices helps to reduce the fuel cost
- Hiring experienced drivers: Poor driving habits have been documented to increase fuel cost by almost 25%. Driving with a wrong gear can raise the fuel cost significantly
- Proper route planning: avoid using the routes with heavy traffic or those with slowdowns
- Ensure tires are well inflated to increase fuels saving cost by 6%
- Unnecessary weight and other assets attached to the vehicles should be detached if not in use. For example, trailers and roof racks should be removed to reduce wind resistance while driving
From the above-outlined information, it’s clear that an effective fleet management system is a worthy consideration. If you are confused on the option to take in the market, you can consider Exspeedite because on top of having the best software, they also offer training on usage and integration of the system in the existing one.
Is fleet management system viable for a small company?
There is nothing good in business than growing with a system. As such, even if your company is small, get a customized quote to fit your business. There is a big myth that only large companies can use the fleet management system. However, if you get proper consultation from a professional you will get to understand the marginal value of the fleet management system.
For example, the fleet management system incorporated in the trucking software of the Exspeedite Company has a user-friendly interface with options of drag and drop which makes it easy to manage a few or a fleet of vehicles.
A good fleet management system is aimed at reducing the running cost of a set of vehicles. These savings can be made by optimizing n fuel usage, choosing the right route, fixing tracking and anti-theft devices, offering tutorials to the drivers on how to drive effectively.
The fleet management software should be able to perform more than the function of managing the fleet. Integration is the key in the transport sector. There are very many activities that happen at the same time and they all require documentation. There is no other way of doing this apart from having an effective fleet management system.