Horse racing is gaining mainly in popularity, and it is one such sport which sustained through many centuries and still causes the rise of adrenaline at the same rate. There are many youngsters too getting attracted to this sport in which perfect human-animal synchronization help win laurels.
Racing is primarily a variant of the equestrian sports that involves many jockeys riding their horses to cover a certain distance to finish first. In this article, we will discuss a few basics of racing as a sport and just explore a little of its history.
Types of horse racing
There are different types of horse racing, and many sub-variants of it also exist in different parts of the world. Each of these variants has a certain set of rules and many traditional practices. Some horse races are simply a competition of a particular category of breeds, running over certain distances, racing over different obstacles, and running on various types of gaits. Nowadays, racing is usually done on synthetic tracks, but there are a lot of turf tracks, and dirt tracks exist t various places.
The major four types of horse racings include:
- Flat racing – it is the primary type of race in which the horses directly gallop between the start end finish points. The track is usually straight of the oval in shape. Thoroughbred racing is a classic example of flat racing.
- Steeplechase – This is also called jump racing in which the horses need to run over obstacles and finish first.
- Harness racing – In these types of races, horses used to pace or trot while pulling the jockey in a sulky.
- Endurance race – Horses usually run for long distance, such as cross-country race. Typically, the distance covered may be from 25 to 100 miles or more.
You can book breeders cup tickets 2017 to explore one of these best sporting actions for the year.
Horse racing as a sport
Horse racing is one among the most ancient type of sports and also one of the most organized sports in the ancient history of many countries. Horse racing is believed to date back to the time of 4500 BC when the nomadic tribesmen of the Central Asia who were the first to domesticate the wild animal of the horse. During modern days, horse racing is one of the major legally gambled sports throughout the world including the USA.
In the United States, horse racing dates back to the year 1665, when the Newmarket course located at Salisbury, New York, was built. A part of this is now called as the Hempstead Plains at Long Island in New York. This first every official racing meet in America held in New York was supervised the colonial governor of the times, Richard Nicolls.
Now the major race tracks in the United States include:
- Freehold Raceway, New Jersey
- Fair Grounds, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Saratoga Race Course, Saratoga Springs, New York
- Pimlico, Baltimore, Maryland
- Monmouth Park, Oceanport, New Jersey
- Churchill Downs, Louisville, Kentucky
- Yonkers Raceway, New York
- Oaklawn Park, Hot Springs, Arkansas
- Belmont Park, New York, etc. to name a few.
If you are planning to explore horse racing sport as a budding enthusiast, it is ideal to explore many of the horse racing touring options. This, not only helps to give you some baseline knowledge and understand of racing as a structured sport but also provides an opportunity to visit the top race courses and the best racehorses in the country.