The moment you wake up in the morning, the first thing you do is rush to the bathroom to grab the best toothpaste you got, use antibacterial soap for shower, dab on some good quality deodorant and finally dress your best by applying some make-up. Your morning routine goes all well until one day you realize that the products you use everyday contain a harmful chemical called Triclosan. Found in a variety of products like toothpastes, mouthwashes, soaps and deodorants, triclosan has numerous effects on human health. One of the potential dangers of this harmful chemical is that it hinders hormone functioning.
Triclosan is a harmful chemical that penetrates through the skin and leads to numerous health issues. Here are a few reasons why you must avoid products containing triclosan.
- Researchers at the University of Florida have linked triclosan to severe pregnancy complications. Studies have shown that this antibacterial agent can disturb the functioning of an enzyme that is crucial in pregnancy. Pregnant women are therefore advised to steer clear of products containing triclosan.
- Studies have found that the harmful chemical generates toxic chemicals such as dioxin and chloroform, which irritate skin and cause cancer when they come in close contact with other chemicals.
- Besides irritating skin and causing cancer, utilizing products that contain triclosan can impair the functioning of the immune system and lead to asthma.
- One of the harmful effects of triclosan is that is hazardous to the environment. The chemical is toxic in nature and reacts negatively to algae, and other aquatic life. Triclosan easily gets transformed into a dioxin, a toxic chemical that is formed due to the exposure of sunlight in water.
- After a series of research on triclosan, British researchers concluded that the presence of estrogenic and androgenic hormone properties in this antibacterial agent is the leading cause of cancer in humans. They found that the exposure of these can increase the chances of developing breast cancer
Some of the products that contain triclosan include shaving gels, cleansers, shampoos and hand sanitizers. Check out products like toothpastes, soaps, shampoos and items you use regularly for the presence of triclosan.
Opting for organic personal care products is one way to ensure that you are free of triclosan. In order to avoid the harmful effects of this chemical, you must read the labels of consumer products carefully before buying them. So the next time you rush to the bathroom for a shower, think twice before you use any products. Always prefer using triclosan free soap, shower gels, shampoos and other such products.